Laser Level Reviews – Compare The Best Laser Levels for 2020
For professional builders and homeowners interested in DIY projects, you need to know how to choose a top-quality laser level. Don’t underestimate the importance of finding the best one because this tool plays a huge role (just imagine your stairs, floors or ceiling being a bit off level). The whole world would be out of balance if people had no tool to create the necessary precision, and this is when a laser level comes in handy because it offers the latest leveling technology. Focus on these laser level reviews when shopping for the best tool of this kind to ensure that it’s manufactured from high-quality materials and designed with its utmost precision. Basically, this device will provide you with the results that can’t be obtained when using traditional levels, so you should find out more about popular options and existing laser level types to make a more informed decision and choose the best one for your needs.
Top 10 Ranked Laser Levels Available Online
Dewalt DW088K Self-Leveling Cross Line Laser
This tool works perfectly if you need to level structures, grade job sites and perform other similar tasks. Besides, it’s made from durable and lightweight materials and comes with a 360-degree rotation. This laser level is easy to use and has other incredible characteristics, such as its solid construction, automatic leveling, functionality and precision.
Bosch GLL 1P Combination Point and Line Laser Level
This construction tool offers greater versatility and different alignment and leveling applications, thus, providing users with a well-balanced combination of point and bright line laser applications. It’s easy to set and use because of its fast leveling system, and it also features a strong magnet and built-in vial level. The best part is that this laser level is mountable for different angle applications while being lightweight and compact in its size.
Black & Decker BDL170 BullsEye Auto-Leveling Laser
It’s quite an efficient tool for hanging pictures and other decorations, shelves and other items. The greatest benefit is that it has bullseye auto leveling laser that doesn’t require any adjustments. This laser level projects both vertical and horizontal lines, thus, providing users with extra versatility. There are other excellent features that you will like, including rubber over-molds, automated reference, back lights, etc.
Bosch GRL400H Rotary Laser Level
Many users call it the best rotary laser level because of its excellent characteristics. This device is well-built and solid, comes with glass windows and rubber handles, so that moisture and dust are avoided. Don’t forget about its efficient vibration sensor because it can help you define if you need to relevel this tool. Its range makes this laser level a perfect solution for both indoor and outdoor applications because it works flawlessly in any situation.
This laser level is designed for all kinds of long-distance measurements across construction sites. It’s a self-levelling, 360-degree and speedy tool that has such beneficial characteristics as ease of use, efficiency and others. It can be used for a range of manual slope jobs by both professionals and average consumers.
It’s a self-levelling, automatic rotary laser level that is popular for its affordability. If you need to handle a wide range of vertical, horizontal and plumbing operations, you won’t be able to find a better option out there. Its one-touch button makes it very simple to perform many functions. For carpenters and builders, you can use this laser level for any construction task.
Leica L2P5 Laser Level
It’s an effective and popular all point and cross line tool that combines a chalk line, level and plumb bob. Think about its 4 laser points, well-calibrated functions, accuracy, 1800 horizontal and vertical lines, and you will understand why it’s often chosen by users to lay out 90 degrees. This automatic laser level is designed to last for a long time thanks to its durable materials and quality craftsmanship.
CST/Berger RL25HCK Laser Level
This tool is a great choice when it comes to different outdoor applications, and its affordable price won’t leave you indifferent. You will also like its single-axis slope control and self-leveling design.
Bosch GTL2 Laser Square
This tool projects both vertical and horizontal light beams on any given surface, so that this feature makes it one of the most versatile options available in the market. It’s simple to operate and can serve many purposes.
Qooltek Multipurpose Laser Level Horizon
This popular laser level combines functions of an advanced tape measure, a new laser level and a triple-positioned leveling bubble to offer the best results possible. It can work anywhere because this construction tool is designed to be used in any situation where accurate measurements and straight lines are required, including leveling nails and measuring wall locations. Its backup battery ensures that you will keep going with a high level of convenience.
Existing Types of Laser Levels
When shopping for a laser level, it’s possible to choose from many types, but they all share one common characteristic because they use a beam of light to define the right angle by measuring both end and start points. This means that you can use this tool in all directions, and it indicates not only horizontal levels, but it also comes in handy in vertical plumbing. When shopping for the best one, it’s advisable to get a better idea of available types and their basic characteristics to find what you need.
Dot laser or zero-dimensional levels display 1 or more dots on a given surface, and they line up different objects and show levels at the same height on opposite walls. It’s easy to mark these dots on a surface with a simple pencil, and when you have a few dots, remember that they always function as a line.
Line laser or one-dimensional levels use 1 laser beam via 180 degrees to define a perfectly horizontal or vertical line. It’s possible to use this beam as a straight edge or to complete such basic tasks as lining up pictures, installing shelves and others.
Rotary laser levels are a bit similar to the second type because they use one laser beam, but the main difference is that it can travel 360 degrees, thus, providing users with 2 dimensions. This feature comes in handy when installing chair rails or performing other similar tasks because of a high level of accuracy provided by a quality and efficient rotary laser level.
When you’re busy with home remodeling or other projects, you need to use a laser level. You will be surprised to find a range of available choices because these levels are also categorized as:
- Automatic. Of all other types it’s the most widespread one because it comes automated, which makes it easy to use and set up. These laser levels project the beam that provides a high level of accuracy, so that they are perfect for different DIY and home construction projects.
- Outdoor. You should understand that using this tool for outdoor projects is different from indoor uses. As an example, the beam it projects must be bright enough to be seen outdoors.
- Torpedo. Their accuracy is hard to beat by other types, and that’s why they are chosen by many modern consumers.
- Indoor. As their name suggests, these laser levels are created for a range of indoor construction projects. They have less bright light beams that are easier to see indoors, but some of them have enough power to project bright beams, and this characteristic makes them flexible. You need to read their detailed descriptions to determine the most suitable one for your projects.
- Pipe levels. Their primary use is to level both below and above ground pipes, and they provide users with wide and automatic self-levelling. This feature makes them quite helpful when you need to install pipes in different grades. Besides, these tools are designed to remain accurate in wet and other conditions, and most of them are manufactured from the materials that resist corrosion.
- Plumbing levels. One of their most prominent features is emitting 2 light beams: one of them is projected upwards, while the other one is projected downwards, and this is what allows users to get a vertical beam. Some of these laser levels are self-levelling, while others have special housing to keep accurate calibrations. Pay attention to additional features that can be useful, including magnets.
Helpful Tips on How to Choose Your Perfect Laser Level
How to choose the right laser level when there are so many available choices? This question is often asked by consumers who feel lost and frustrated. If you’re one of them, you should take into consideration a few important aspects that will guide you in the right direction. Basically, you need to base your final choice on such essential criteria as accuracy, durability, cost, weight, size and so on. For all consumers, pay attention to such basic laser level characteristics as:
- Self-levelling mechanism (like the pendulum style that is easy to lock);
- Automated out-of-level indicators (blinking lights);
- Minimal 20-foot ranges (the most popular laser level models provide users with accuracy within thirty feet).
There are other characteristics that shouldn’t be overlooked if you want to end up with your ideal tool.
- Quality and type of case materials. This aspect is important to those users who work in dirty or dusty areas. Keep in mind that the best laser levels always have moisture-resistant and durable components that make them suitable for both indoor and outdoor use.
- Warranties. Take a look at warranty information before making a final choice when looking for a tool that will be used on a regular basis.
- Battery types. Searching for a laser level with an extended battery life is a good idea, so focus on lithium-ion batteries because they will last longer.
- Intended uses. Perhaps, it’s the most important consideration when shopping for this basic construction tool. Think about the things that you want to do with it and make your choice accordingly. Look for the best outdoor laser level if you plan to use it for different outdoor applications.
- Your available budget. Don’t buy the cheapest model trying to save money because you’re most likely to regret this choice. It’s advisable to spend a bit more to get a durable and quality tool that can stand the test of time.
- Accuracy. All accurate laser levels can determine the leveling of any working surface by an inch fraction.
- Visibility range. It refers to a distance that a light beam projected by this tool can be seen. The longer this range, the better your laser level.
- Manual or automatic leveling options. Self-leveling tools can help you save time and provide you with more accurate results, while manual ones are easy to maintain.
- Dual beam or horizontal. Horizontal laser levels are effective for floor leveling, and this means that their applications are limited. Dual beam types are more expensive and flexible in terms of their use.
- Laser detectors or receivers. They have two basic functions: extending a working range and enabling laser levels to be used outdoors. The necessity to use these detectors depends on your intended applications.
- IP ratings. It’s all about the quality of sealing and effectiveness when it comes to preventing the intrusion of other unwanted substances, including moisture and dirt. You should check it when shopping for a good laser level to ensure its durability and lasting service life.
- Mounting threads. They play an important role because there are some applications when you need your laser level to be very stable. Most options are easy to mount on standard tripods, while others require special mounting devices.
Indoor and Outdoor Laser Level Uses
As you already know, laser levels are must-have tools for home use and many industries. If you need to create a perfect horizontal surface for a number of applications, this task is impossible to complete without them. For people who need to hang shelves, the necessity to ensure perfect levelling is quite moderate, but when it comes to installing even floors or any other foundation, this project is devastating without the best laser level. This construction tool is used by both homeowners and high-tech specialists, and it can perform such basic tasks as:
- Installing anything that must be horizontal, including shelves, ceilings, stairs, chairs, rails, etc.;
- Hanging mirrors, paintings and pictures;
- Plumbing walls, columns and vertical pipes;
- Measuring a distance between different objects.
Besides, it’s possible to divide all laser level uses into 2 basic groups:
- Indoor applications, including levelling floors, making walls straight and perpendicular, installing ceiling drops, checking for window and door heights, installing chair rails, matching points on ceilings and floors, installing trims and cabinets, etc.
- Outdoor uses, such as aligning your masonry, ground surveying, setting the layouts of new construction sites, contour farming for improved irrigation, aligning beams and posts on fences and porches, checking for site elevations to improve any drainage installation, and others.
Benefits of Laser Levels over Traditional Air-Bubble Types
Nowadays, you can easily find traditional air-bubble levels that have been used by people for many decades because of their accuracy and other characteristics, but modern laser levels will provide you with a higher level of accuracy and a set of extra functions, including distance measuring, plumbing and so on. This is what makes them helpful multi-purpose tools that are incredibly convenient, economical and can help you save some space. That’s why more and more consumers are switching to laser types, so find out more about their impressive benefits over standard air-bubble types to understand why you should choose laser levels.
- Laser levels can help you reach the highest level of accuracy that is not possible with traditional ones, and this means that there is nothing better than this tool in terms of precision, because it offers accuracy up to millimeter fractions;
- For users who appreciate technological gadgetry and want to benefit from ultimate precision when completing such tasks as building shelves, hanging wall pictures, constructing floors, and others, a laser level is an ideal tool;
- They are helpful for professionals, handymen and homeowners who can see a huge difference when buying and using this excellent device;
- Laser levels are portable and lightweight, so that it’s easy to move them around when needed;
- They are quite affordable and economical at the same time, and this means that you don’t have to spend a fortune to get one.
- These levels are quite easy to use and offer a high level of convenience because you only need to press a button to start creating guidelines, checking for alignments and doing other important things.
- They make it very simple to work with inclines, because there are only a few steps involved. First, you need to mount your level to maintain the same position when doing your job. Second, its settings don’t change even while moving this construction tool to different locations.
Interesting and Helpful Laser Level Accessories
Interested in helpful accessories that will come in handy when using laser levels? They range from special detectors and tripods to other construction site accessories that can transform a regular laser level from a useful gadget to a productive and efficient tool. Their basic purpose is to help users get the highest value from their laser levels, and they are categorized as the following:
- Basic accessories include tripods, pole and wall mounts that allow you to set the required height of laser levels with ease.
- Advanced accessories include special laser detectors and displays that provide users with well-calibrated laser measurements when it comes to heavy machinery.
Why do you need to use them? For example, adding 360-degree laser detection ability to any excavating or grading equipment can offer a new level of accuracy and effectiveness to a number of important landscaping, construction and other operations. Other accessories for laser levels include grade rods and standard detectors that are suitable for outdoor uses. When shopping for them ensure that they are built with excellent durability and quality.
When completing different building tasks, precision is one of the most important aspects that shouldn’t be overlooked. You need to understand that when installing floors because wrong measurements will ruin the entire construction project. Pay attention to the best line laser levels because they provide users with better and more precise measurements in an improved manner. If you like constructing things, buying one of them is a good decision because it guarantees accurate results and ease of use.
This guide informs you about the basic types of laser levels available in the modern market, their benefits and other important details. This is what can help you get a better understanding of this remarkable device and make a wise choice when ordering it. The laser levels discussed above are excellent in terms of their accuracy, ease of use, portability and other important characteristics that should be considered when shopping for the best one. When you buy any of them, you can be sure to get the tool designed to be durable and last for a long period of time while offering a high level of user-friendliness. This means that these laser levels are perfect and helpful even for people who have never used them before. This tool will help you save money, energy and time because it can do any building job that requires 100% precision and accuracy. It’s a sound investment because you can use a quality laser level for a variety of projects.